Dual citizenship in Lithuania2016-04-25
Citizenship of Lithuania
Fastmigration team reminds that the topic for the dual citizenship question is at the top of agenda in Lithuanian Parliament. The Liberal’s party in the Parliament is initiating a decision to hold a referendum for dual citizenship in October 2016, together with the Parliament elections. Constitutional amendment can be enacted by the agreement of not less than 50 % of the citizens, who expressed their position on the voting day.
The results of the referendum are predicted to be positive by the estimation by political and migration experts in Lithuania. The issue of emigration affects many Lithuanians and their families, as approximately 40 thousand people emigrate from the country each year. This is one the main aspects encouraging the process of dual citizenship. Such tendencies have been revealed by the public poll – in the year of 2015 (57%) of Lithuania’s citizens were in favor of dual citizenship (“Citizens’ opinion research regarding double citizenship legitimization”, 2015). Read more about the dual citizenship in Lithuania
Therefore, it is strongly possible that the non-EU citizens might receive a possibility to obtain a passport of Lithuania (what ensures for the individual equal rights, freedoms and duties) without losing the citizenship of their country of origin. What does it mean to be a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania?
Being a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania
Possession of the citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania is understood as individual’s constant relation with the state of Lithuania, based by the mutual rights and duties. The citizens of Lithuania have all the rights, freedoms and duties, which are described by the constitution, laws, other legislation, as well as international agreements. In the meantime, ones without the citizenship (residency permits holders) in Lithuania are considered as foreigners who receive less rights, freedoms and duties than Lithuanian citizens.
What are the advantages of possessing citizenship of republic of Lithuania?
Citizens of Lithuania:
- are defended and taken care of not only in its territory, but as well outside the country borders.
- cannot be sent out of the country’s territory.
- cannot be extradited to other countries*.
- can and get back to the territory of Republic of Lithuania.
- may travel to all European Union, reside and work there without restrictions and as equal European Union citizens.
- may use the privilege to access the visa free countries (e.g. Ukraine, Belarus, Russia).
- may enroll themselves in the political life in the country – vote in presidential, Lithuanian parliament, municipalities’ and European parliament’s elections.
- may use the state health and social security services
*except the certain cases, described in the international agreements.
Back to list